Thursday, November 18, 2010

Slacker I'm not

Yes, so it's been a long time and what's the point of beginning a blog if I'm going to ignore it?  Cut me some slack!  This seems to be my theme the past few days... being told again and again that I should hold my head high for all that I do.  It's hard for me, neurotic nerd that I am. I know, i just don't always get it.
Work kicked my butt for the first month or so.  Here I am sliding through the third month of my managerial tasks and I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable.  I'm finally getting a handle on things.  One of the more difficult things is learning how to MANAGE people.  There are 4 other ladies I work with.  2 are knowledgeable hard workers who I know I can rely on to make solid choices and complete tasks.  The other 2.... weeeeelllll, in their defense they do have good hearts and mean well.
Is it wrong of me to secretly call them Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum behind their backs?  Is it sad that I have to create an employee counselling form just for them? I always try to be nice, but I am learning that there's nothing wrong with my standing firm and making demands.  If I place no expectations on them what goals would they have to strive for?  Heck, I'm hoping that I find creative ways to motivate them to do BETTER.
Yes, they can be liabilities, and the rest of us work harder by having to pick up the pieces behind them.  But they really do want the best for the students and because those kids are the priority it does count for something.
And so I've done a good job in this blog post of not delving deeper into my own insecurity and self doubt issues by deflecting onto the "slackers" I work with.  Nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment